HomeCrimeThree remanded over alleged diversion of government mosquito nets

Three remanded over alleged diversion of government mosquito nets

Date:

Related stories

Toyin Abraham reveals husband threatened to leave her over smoking habit

Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham has revealed that her husband,...

Edo: ‘We don’t want to see you’ — Gov’s aide warns Davido

The Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Edo...

Osun election: Adeleke urges unity, commiserates with families of violence victims

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has called on residents...

Osun election: Davido teases Wike in Abuja, says ‘I beat you guys’

Afrobeats star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, engaged...

Lagos: Police arrest six over viral video of motorists’ harassment

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested six suspects...
spot_imgspot_img

The Osun State Police Command has disclosed that three suspects have been remanded in a correctional centre after being arraigned over the alleged diversion and sale of government-owned mosquito nets intended for free distribution under a public health intervention programme.

According to a statement issued on Tuesday by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, the case followed an investigation into reports of mosquito nets allegedly being sold instead of being distributed to beneficiaries.

Police identified the suspects as Rabbi Bennett, said to be a staff member of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) attached to Ife North Local Government Area in Ipetumodu; Opeyemi Ajibola, a commercial motorcycle rider; and Aminu Ibrahim.

The statement revealed that “the inquiry began after information reached the Command on June 9, 2026, concerning the suspected illegal disposal of government property meant for public use.”

The police alleged that “the suspects sold six bundles containing 300 mosquito nets on June 8, 2026, despite the items being designated for free distribution under a government health programme.”

The investigation was reportedly prompted by a disagreement between Bennett and Ajibola over the sharing of proceeds allegedly realised from the transaction, leading officers to uncover the alleged scheme.

Following their arrest, “the three suspects were taken into custody for questioning, during which they reportedly admitted their involvement in the alleged offence.”

The Command confirmed that the matter had been charged before a competent court and that the defendants had been remanded in a correctional facility pending the continuation of judicial proceedings.

Reaffirming its resolve to protect public assets, the police stated, “The Command reiterates its commitment to safeguarding public resources and ensuring that individuals entrusted with public welfare programmes are held accountable under the law.”

The statement added that investigations had been concluded and the case was now before the court for determination.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here