HomeNewsMilitary reveals how abducted Oyo pupils, teachers were rescued

Military reveals how abducted Oyo pupils, teachers were rescued

Date:

Related stories

Toyin Abraham reveals husband threatened to leave her over smoking habit

Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham has revealed that her husband,...

Edo: ‘We don’t want to see you’ — Gov’s aide warns Davido

The Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Edo...

Osun election: Adeleke urges unity, commiserates with families of violence victims

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has called on residents...

Osun election: Davido teases Wike in Abuja, says ‘I beat you guys’

Afrobeats star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, engaged...

Lagos: Police arrest six over viral video of motorists’ harassment

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested six suspects...
spot_imgspot_img

The Defence Headquarters has disclosed that the rescue of abducted pupils and teachers from Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State was achieved through a coordinated intelligence-driven operation involving multiple security agencies and local security groups.

The victims, who spent 56 days in captivity after being kidnapped from three schools in May, were freed during a joint operation led by troops of the Nigerian Army under the 2 Division.

According to the military, soldiers worked alongside operatives of other security agencies, the Amotekun Corps, local vigilantes and hunters to track the kidnappers and secure the release of the hostages.

The Army said 44 pupils and teachers were rescued during the operation, although some security personnel sustained casualties while carrying out the mission.

Military authorities described the operation as a “surgical” and well-coordinated exercise conducted in forested areas where the abductors had been hiding the victims. Intelligence gathering and sustained surveillance reportedly played a key role in locating the captives.

President Bola Tinubu had earlier confirmed the rescue of all the abducted pupils and teachers, saying the operation ended a 56-day ordeal for the victims and their families. The Presidency also announced that eight suspects linked to the abduction had been arrested and were in the custody of the Department of State Services, while other members of the gang were neutralised during the operation.

The schoolchildren and teachers were abducted on May 15 from two primary schools and one secondary school in Oriire Local Government Area, in an attack that drew nationwide concern.

Following the rescue, the military said the freed victims were receiving medical attention and would be handed over to the Oyo State Government for reunion with their families.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here